A few of our customers wanted a better understanding of the jewelry repair terms we use to define our Metal work, Engraving and Appraisal products. Here is a breakdown by category:
Metal/Soldering Work Terms
- Broken bail – repairing or replacing the part of a charm or pendant that connects it to a chain.
- Broken post – repairing or replacing the part of an earring that holds it in place for pierced ears.
- Broken jump/spring ring – repairing or replacing a round connector used to attach closures or other pieces to a jewelry item.
- Broken hinge/safety catch/clasp – repairing or replacing the closure on a bracelet, necklace, or other piece of jewelry.
- Broken lock – repair or replace a two-piece clasp in which one side slides into the other and locks into place, securing the jewelry piece on your wrist or neck.
- Rebuild channel – repairing the metal surrounding channel-set diamonds or gemstones so that it securely holds these stones in place without prongs or a bezel.
- Re-shape ring – taking a ring that has been bent out of shape and returning it to perfect roundness.
- Solder two rings together – fusing multiple rings together with heat to make a new single ring that cannot be separated.
- Ring engraving – adding a name, date, or other alphanumeric characters to the interior of a ring band
- Necklace engraving – adding a name, date, or other alphanumeric characters to a necklace, usually on a pendant
- Bracelet engraving – adding a name, date, or other alphanumeric characters to a bracelet, usually on a charm or the interior side of a bangle, cuff, etc.
- Anklet or other engraving – adding a name, date, or other alphanumeric characters to a brooch, earrings, solitary pendant/charm, or any piece of jewelry not listed above
- Jewelry Appraisal – examining a piece of jewelry to determine the current estimated value of the item and providing a report for insurance purposes
- Watch Appraisal – examining a watch to determine the current estimated value of the item and providing a report for insurance purposes
- Loose gemstone appraisal – examining a gemstone that is not set in a piece of jewelry at this time to determine the current estimated value of the item and provide a report for insurance purposes
If you’re still not sure of what you need simply select the closest option you can find to what you need completed, and our jewelers will advise when evaluating your request if any other work needs to be completed or if anything is unclear to them. At Quick Jewelry Repairs, we are focused on providing transparent service at an affordable price, we care and are here to help answer any questions/concerns you may have.