Bangles are so much fun to wear- they just have this wonderful, solid feeling to them when they sit on your wrist. If you’re looking for one, chances are you’ll need to get one that’s the right size. Read on to find out more about bangles and getting the correct fit.
How Are Bangles Different Than Other Bracelets?
The age-old question; bangles are obviously a type of bracelet, but not all bracelets are bangles! In order to be considered a bangle, the item must be solid in construction. That can mean either one whole piece, like a carved jade bangle, or an assembled piece, like a hinged bangle.
How To Measure Your Bangle Size
Because of the way bangles are designed, getting them onto your wrist can be quite a challenge. Here’s a quick guide on how to get the best fit.
Alternatively, if you have an existing bangle that already fits you, you can measure either the circumference or the diameter of that bangle to get your ideal measurements.
How Do I Size An Existing Bangle?
If you have a bangle that is currently too small or too large, it may be possible to adjust the size of the bangle. This is dependent on several factors, however:
- The bangle must be made out of a material that can be worked with: Stone bangles, such as jade bangles, cannot be sized. These pieces are physically carved out of one stone; the moment you break it open, it will be never be the same.
- The bangle’s design must allow for sizing: Hinged bangles cannot be sized; the process will affect the mechanism. Bangles that are covered in intricate detailing may be sizable, but it is not recommended because the process will visibly distort a portion of the piece.
How Is A Bangle Sized?
- Note Diameter Size: The best way to size down a bangle is by measuring the diameter. If you need it to go from 2 to 3 inches, we’ll be able to measure that accordingly.
- Cutting & Sizing: Once we know the size it needs to go to, our jewelers cut into the bangle and add or remove metal in order to size down or up. They ensure the bangle is the correct shape (oval or round) before sealing the cut.
- Polishing & Finishing: After the sizing process, the jewelers polish and finish off the bangle. Depending on the bangle’s design, the process can be a quick buff, or it can be a complicated process involving stone setting and tightening, enameling, and even plating.
You’re now up-to-date on how to measure your bangle size and how to get a bangle sized! If you have something you’d like to size, get started with our custom repair service.