Custom jewelry creation is one of the most exciting things we do here at Quick Jewelry Repairs, and when we’re creating completely new items, it gets even better! Here’s how to design a custom ring from scratch.
The Custom Creation Process
When you’re designing a ring, think about the reason why you want to have this ring created. Is it a wedding/engagement ring for you, or for someone else? Is this a pet project for yourself, based on something you’ve been wanting or a particular stone you’d like to repurpose?
These questions are the first step in helping you get started, and we have a few more factors below:
- What is the general type of ring that you want to create? Is it a simple band? A signet ring? A true wedding and engagement set? Or a fancy cocktail ring? Establish this first to get a sense of what you want to make.
- If you want a stone or multiple stones in your design, what stone type, size, and shape? Keep in mind that this may influence elements of your design, such as setting style, gold color, and even band width!
- What metal do you want? Sterling silver, gold-plated sterling silver, solid yellow/white/rose gold, or platinum? Keep in mind that the more precious the metal, the more expensive the recreation. Silver starts at around $250 for recreations, while platinum can easily go past $1500.
- What’s your budget? This is important to know as jewelry can be flexible, and you can scale down material costs by reducing size and metal weight. Stones can be switched out for cheaper alternatives that achieve the same visual result.
Manufacturing a Custom Ring
Once you’ve decided on your item, the jeweler can move into manufacturing. Here are the following steps in the process:
- Create a 3D Design: The jeweler makes a 3D design file that will be used to 3D print the item’s wax mold. This wax mold is then used for metal casting purposes.
- Source & Cut Stones: The jeweler hands over details to the lapidary, who sources and cuts the stones needed for the design.
- Cast the Design: After the stones have been sourced, the jeweler proceeds to cast the metal and set the stones.
Cost and Turnaround Time
Custom creation isn’t cheap, but with good reason! After all, the jeweler’s making a special one of a kind item for you with sourced stones and metal. Expect custom creation to start at a minimum of $250 and increase depending on the size of your item, its weight, the metal, and any stones needed for the process. Turnaround time can range from 3-5 weeks or more, depending on additional stone sourcing time.
Now you’re all set on how to design a custom ring from scratch! Want to get started? Comment below and we’ll help you out.